In May of 2012 I first came across the APIs from the University of Washington. I was impressed with how organized their approach to delivering campus APIs was. Their IT department does a great job on the presentation of their APIs, why they are important and makes them inclusive to everyone.
Using the Universities of Washington's web services, anyone on campus can learn, discover and connect to 29 separate University APIs. Its great to see that a University is trying to create a single directory of all University web services, and even has an API suggestion service where students and faculty can submit and vote on ideas for new, useful campus APIs.
With the volatility of school funding, online learning and just overall competition in higher ed, Universities need to start noticing of the transformative powers of APIs, and how it can make University operations more transparent, accessible and nimble, and potentially even save money when it comes to empowering the students themselves to build interfaces for accessing vital University information.
Recently, folks at UC Berkeley contacted me about their API program, with lots of ideas of what they would like to see. As I do in other sectors, I want to help profile the best API approaches across Universities and provide blueprints for other universities to follow.
This University research project will profile the efforts of various University API programs as well as provide news, analysis and other resources that people can follow when working to get traction with APIs at their own school.
Winning in the API Economy
|Download as PDF|
Latest Blog Posts
- List of 15+ University APIs
- University of California Student Senate Submits Bill Stating Student Information Systems Must Have API
- Syracuse University’s iSchool IT Girls want to change the world with data
- Added Video of My API Talk at
- Access Interoperability Privacy and Security Of Technology Will Set The Stage For The Future of Education
- Reshaping Scholarly Communication: UC Open Access Policy
- Free Webinar: Evolving Strong Authentication at the University of Arizona
- Budget transparency for an open university
- University guide 2014: download the Guardian tables and see how the rankings have changed
- Dogfooding the OrgSync API: How We Built the User Conference Statistics Page